bsd/citrus iconv

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Thu Feb 23 18:23:45 UTC 2012

In article <86r4xl8lw0.fsf at ds4.des.no>, des at des.no writes:

>It's a question of semantics...  it's an extension (part of the
>_XOPEN_UNIX option group), but if supported, it's supposed to be part of
>libc.  I don't think the SUS states this explicitly, but it's implied by
>the lack of mention of a separate iconv library in the c99 man page.

POSIX doesn't specify libc or any other library.  It specifies (by
omission) that the function shall be available when the "c99" command
is used without any special "-l" arguments (such as "-l rt").  It can
be located in any library, so long as "c99" always includes that
library when building an executable.  (Of course, we don't support
_XOPEN_UNIX and probably never will, but that would be the requirement
if we did.)

-GAWollman