[patch] allow crash dumps to Linux swap partitions

Andrey V. Elsukov ae at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 17 11:03:47 UTC 2012

On 17.02.2012 14:16, Doug Barton wrote:
> So I gave this a try, and I'm getting this:
>

> GEOM_PART:dumpon:  ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP)P: artition 'ad0s4' not
> suitable for kernel dumps (wrong type?)
> Operation not supported by device
> /etc/rc: WARNING: unable to specify /dev/ad0s7 as a dump device
>
> I'm guessing that this is due to ad0s7 being in an extended partition.
> So I take it we have no support for dumping to logical partition?

EBR scheme serves logical partitions. Your extended partition is ad0s4,
EBR's consumer is attached to MBR's ad0s4 provider. ad0s7 is EBR's provider.

When you are trying to configure ad0s7 as dump device, GEOM_PART asks EBR scheme:
is kernel dump allowed or not? After r230064 it answers that dumping is allowed
to partition with type DOSPTYP_386BSD and DOSPTYP_LINSWP. But, since ad0s7 has
parent provider it forwards this request to MBR's ad0s4.
MBR scheme also allows dumping only to the same partition types.
But ad0s4 partition has type DOSPTYP_EXT. And you got this error message.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov