bsd/citrus iconv

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 15 22:28:09 UTC 2012

On 2012.02.15. 22:51, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> maybe we could already start building bsd/citrus iconv and using it for
> something instead of just having it in the tree?
> Maybe initially without exposing the lib to anything outside the base system
> (ports), just using it for things in the base system like libkiconv...
It would be nice but there are some known bugs in iconv, which I haven't
addressed yet. I have it on my TODO list but at the moment I'm working
on the regex code and I'd like to bring it to a good shape so that
people can start to test it and provide feedback while I work on iconv.
Also, it is not really possible to avoid exposing it. Configure scripts
are quite diverse and some ports will fail with this implementation.
This has to be investigated as well. The best would be to fix the
problem and provide higher compatibility. So I definitely think it
should be opt-in for some time more until I can address those problems.
Or if there are volunteers I can give a list of known bugs / issues.

Gabor