NO_TLS flag for public headers

Oleksandr Tymoshenko gonzo at bluezbox.com
Fri Feb 10 17:36:49 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-10, at 2:57 AM, Ed Schouten wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>
> * Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>, 20120208 22:51:
>> See lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c, arm and mips currently are the only
>> supported FreeBSD architectures that have no support for TLS.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is needed to make TLS work? Is it just the
> lack of support by our toolchain or is there also stuff on our side that
> needs to be done?

There are several places that should be fixed and in sync in order to get TLS
working for architecture: rtld-elf, libthr, cpu_set_user_tls in kernel and
thread pointer handling in toolchain. Look at my commits as of Feb 9 - they cover
all of these but toolchain part.

TLS on MIPS is fixed for the simplest test case. TLS data in dynamic library
might need some more work for rtld, but not much. I'll take a look at ARM when I have
working root over NFS on my ARM board. That is if nobody step up and fix it soon :)