Official git export

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 1 08:53:35 UTC 2011

on 01/09/2011 18:08 perryh at pluto.rain.com said the following:
> I don't doubt that one needs to have (whatever version of) the whole
> source tree, but that was presumably installed from the distribution
> ISO and kept up to date via csup.  I see little point in downloading
> it all _again_ just to get VCS history -- and ability to check out,
> branch, etc -- for areas that one doesn't plan to touch.  That's why
> I referred specifically to downloading "the entire VCS history" of
> such parts.
>
> And yes, depending on what part(s) of the kernel I'm working on,
> I may indeed need to touch some userland code.  That still doesn't
> explain why I should have to import VCS awareness of code that I'm
> _not_ modifying.

It looks like you speak too theoretically.
Try doing some non-trivial development and see for yourself.
I am sure that keeping parts of the tree checked out via svn and parts updated via
csup and then using that all together will be very convenient and a lot of fun.
Yeah, and keeping local history is of course not necessary, but when you need to
do some serious history analysis it comes extremely convenient.  And it costs
nothing by today's standards (few hundred MB is nothing for a development
environment).

So, sorry, doing some non-trivial FreeBSD development myself I do not buy your
arguments.

--
Andriy Gapon