Official git export

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Thu Sep 1 00:12:54 UTC 2011

"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 07:30:34AM -0700 I heard the voice of
> perryh at pluto.rain.com, and lo! it spake thus:
> > Surely it would be "noticeably faster" to _download_ only (say)
> > /usr/src/sys than all of /usr/src, unless one has an uncommonly
> > fast link?  (It would also impose less load on the serving site.)
>
> In the context of most current-gen DVCSen, it's unlikely to be much
> (or in fact _any_) faster or less data to transfer.  It's just less
> data to blat into the working tree.

That makes a certain amount of sense _if_ the VCS considers the
entire base system to reside in a single repository, which is why
someone was suggesting splitting it into multiple repositories.

The question remains:  does it really make sense that I must download
the entire VCS history for things like cddl, contrib, crypto, games,
and kerberos if I only plan to work on the kernel?