The strangeness called `sbin'

mdf at FreeBSD.org mdf at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 14 20:15:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I honestly think we have _much bigger_ things to try and fix before we
> worry about the layout of binaries in the directory hierarchy.
>
> Once we've sorted out things like virtualisation hooks for the
> installer and management, better package management and upgrade paths,
> module/kernel build sync, cross-compiled ports, non-root installation
> methods, etc, etc.. I think then we could look at this kind of thing.

Except that Ed isn't volunteering to work on those; they don't scratch his itch.

My personal and vendor perspective is that mostly I don't care where
the utilities are.  I'm not a sysadmin so I can't comment on that
aspect of it.  However, if we are voting, I'm cautiously in favor of
Ed's proposal, simply because I like change that makes things simpler,
regardless of the costs involved in a switch.

Cheers,
matthew