The strangeness called `sbin'

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Nov 14 16:08:08 UTC 2011

On Nov 14, 2011, at 2:42 AM, Lars Engels wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:33:22AM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
>> * Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>, 20111114 10:29:
>>> But now the question remains how we should change the default
>>> partitioning. I think default installations place home directories in
>>> /usr/home, with a symlink from /home. Should they now be placed in
>>> /usr/local/home?
>>
>> Oh wait. It seems the new FreeBSD installer by default only writes a /
>> and a swap. Then this comment can be ignored.
>
> It does, but that was not a democratic decision, AFAIK...

At the time, it was also *EXPLICITLY* stated that this wasn't a grab to moving things out of /usr, or changing that.  There's a fair amount of infrastructure that depends on the separation and while it wouldn't be hard to separate it out, there's likely a non-zero amount of work to getting it all right.  That's a *MUCH* bigger deal than collapsing /*bin into /bin or /usr/*bin into /usr/bin.

Ed: Have you tested nanobsd, tinybsd and picobsd with even the modest changes you posted earlier?

Warner