The strangeness called `sbin'

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Mon Nov 14 01:38:57 UTC 2011

I have to agree with Doug.  If the directories were unified and we were
proposing splitting them based on efficiency, I would say it is not worth
doing.  However, the directories are separate now, and I don't see sufficient
benefit from combining them.  fwiw, I think at least 90% of the users at
work do not have /sbin and /usr/sbin in their paths now, and they do not
need them.  (Yes, there are still multi-user systems, and not everyone
is a sysadmin.)

I think this is a solution in search of a problem.

	Mike