The strangeness called `sbin'

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Sat Nov 12 10:39:20 UTC 2011

Hi Doug,

* Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>, 20111112 01:40:
> > But the point is: there are quite some tools in */sbin that should be
> > moved to */bin. I can at least point out 15 of them.
>
> Why don't we discuss those specifics first?

In my opinion at least the following binaries are candidates of apps
that can be moved from sbin to bin, as they all work to some degree
without root privileges:

- ac
- arp
- config
- daemon
- dmesg
- ifconfig
- jls
- kldstat
- lastlogin
- md5
- mtree
- ping
- ping6
- pkg_info
- pkg_version
- pstat
- rcorder
- rmd160
- sendmail
- sha1
- sha256
- sysctl

> For those individual tools, yes. But you're discounting the collateral
> damage.

Being?

> Um, if 'make installworld' were to delete existing stuff that would be
> an overwhelming POLA violation.

But my patch doesn't do that. Please take a look at what it does. The
user is kindly asked to move the binaries himself. Otherwise `make
installworld' simply refuses to run.

Unrelated to that, `make installworld' already deletes existing files
from the DESTDIR:

- /.profile
- /.cshrc
- /sys