The strangeness called `sbin'

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Thu Nov 10 17:47:23 UTC 2011

* Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org>, 20111110 18:33:
> Having /sbin in $PATH where /sbin is a symlink to /bin would be worse
> than having no /sbin at all, from a perspective of rootvnode lock
> lifetime.  If you can figure out how to get people to remove /sbin and
> /usr/sbin from their paths after the symlink changes then it becomes a
> moot point.  But heck, I still have /usr/X11R6 in mine... :(

On the other hand, if people used to have /sbin in their path and *do*
remove it properly after the upgrade, they should in theory see a
performance improvement, right?

Assume $PATH used to be /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/games:... and
is switched to /bin:/usr/bin:... after the upgrade. Now if somebody
tries to execute something that's not part of the base system, then it
would require at least 3 calls to execve(), whereas in our current setup
it would require 6 system calls.

Therefore I think it's hard to say anything conclusive about performance
in this area.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/