Dropping sun4v as a platform

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue May 10 22:05:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-May-10 23:35:21 +0800, Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:
>I tried to look to a previous discussion on this and I failed to
>locate one, thus let me raise the point here.

Last discussion was in Aug 2008 - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sun4v/2008-August/000035.html

At the time, I expressed an interest in working on it but that
necessitated getting sun4v working as a LDom guest and I found that
task was too big for the time I could allocate to it.

>As I'm working on on largeSMP support, I was wondering how much sense
>makes to fixing sun4v for this.

I guess it's a very good choice if you want lots of virtual CPUs
in a single small box but I'm not sure there's the critical mass
to get the existing code into a functional state.

>So what are objections (if any) about dropping sun4v?

I'd be sorry to see it go but unless there's someone with the
time and motivation to lead a sub-project to get it back into a
working state, I don't see much point in keeping it around.

--
Peter Jeremy