[RFC] shipping kernels with default modules?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 11 20:49:58 UTC 2011

On 6/11/2011 1:17 PM, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 02:00:20PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> Has anyone benchmarked monolithic vs. modular? I think that should be done before we move in this direction.
>>
>> I haven't noticed a difference, but I haven't done any specific benchmarking.
>
> There might be some measurable difference on i386, where we use dso for
> modules. As a consequence, the overhead of GOT/PLT indirection, and, more
> important, stolen %ebx on the register-starved architecture, may make
> a difference. I doubt that any difference can be measured on amd64.

And no one has ever been surprised that assumptions proved invalid in
the light of actual testing? :)  Theorizing on this point is of
less-than-zero utility. Who is going to volunteer to do the actual
benchmarking?

Doug

			-- OK Go