BSDInstall ISO images

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 11 17:03:43 UTC 2011

On 01/11/2011 06:02, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:58:15 -0700
> Warner Losh<imp at bsdimp.com>  wrote:
>
>> That raises the question: The computer industry has given in and
>> generally says 'G' mean 10^9 not 2^30.  The latter is what Gi means.
>> While bletcherous to my eye, I think we should consider adopting this
>> standard at some point.
> I'm not sure the industry in general has given in - for example I
> haven't seen any 2 GiB memory modules for sale. Apple has
> instead changed the meaning of GB in OS X when used to refer to disks -
> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419

Right, Apple is using G == 10^9 rather than 2^30 now.  That's the
proposed change I was asking about.  If nothing else, Humanize_number
should support producing Gi for 2^30...

Memory is about the last thing to change here, mostly because it is
impossible, so far, to sell memory that isn't a Nxpower-of-2.

Warner