BSDInstall ISO images

Michael Ross michael.ross at gmx.net
Sun Jan 9 12:28:56 UTC 2011

Am 09.01.2011, 06:38 Uhr, schrieb Nathan Whitehorn
<nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>:

> On 01/08/11 20:18, Michael Ross wrote:

>> Some quick results from toying around, mainly in the partition editor:
>>
>> - I can't delete slices. Ever. "Device busy"
>>
>> - I can't delete partitions ("Device busy") once they have been
>> accessed, e.g. after interrupting the installation process ("Finished"
>> Ctrl-C "Restart")
>
> Right, you can't delete currently mounted partitions, and partedit isn't
> smart enough to unmount them first. I hadn't thought about this problem
> -- thanks for the report.
>
>> - Sometimes "Finished" shows the "You have cancelled... Restart?"-Dialog
>> right away. Not sure how to reproduce.
>
> That should very much never happen, unless you press "Don't save". I'd
> love to know how you got this to happen, if you manage to reproduce it
> in the future.

Press "Finished" without having specified ``/'' as a mountpoint on any
partition.
More, once I do this, I can't change the mount point anymore.
Step-by-Step:
1. Create da0s1, da0s1a. No mount point specified. Select "Finished".
    Result: "Abort - you have cancelled... Restart?" Select Restart.
2. "Edit" mount point on da0s1a to /. Select "Finished".
    Result: A error dialog pops up: "mount operation not permitted".

>> - "Add Partition"-Dialog:
>> Having to change between Tab- and Cursor-Keys to navigate this dialog
>> confuses me. I keep pressing Tab to go to the next field.
>> Shift-Tab closes the dialog entirely instead of navigating backwards.
>> "Label" has to be left blank, else "Invalid value". (plus, the
>> errormessage could indicate which of the values is invalid)
>
> The Tab issue is a just a difference between the new dialog this uses
> and the current system dialog. I'll see if it's possible to change.

Having ESC work would be nice, too.

> The label thing is trickier. The "Invalid value" comes out of the kernel
> when trying to set a label on a partition scheme that does not support
> them, and the kernel does not provide useful information on the problem
> (e.g. which field was invalid). The partition editor has to have
> intimate knowledge of the partition schemes to fix this.

I may be unclear on the terminology. I expected "label" to be a
geom-label-label,
i.e. I have
da0	MBR
   da0s1	BSD
   da0s1a  freebsd-ufs
so I could label da0s1a as I could with glabel.

>> - Adding additional users:
>> Crtl-C here cancels the whole installation process? After reboot:
>> First try: No mountroot, but system boots after specifying manually.
>> Second try (after installation from scratch): No mountroot, no
>> /etc/fstab on disk.
>
> Most of the steps are set to cancel the whole process if you Cntrl-C.
> That should probably not be the case as soon as it has finished
> unpacking the system. Can you provide details on how you configured your
> system that resulted in no /etc/fstab? Did you see the "Installation
> Complete" dialog?

How to not have /etc/fstab:
Install, answer "yes" to "Add users?", press Ctrl-C when adduser asks for
username.
End up at login prompt of liveCD.
No "Installation Complete"-Dialog.

Other issue:
I tried "GPT" for da0, wrote to disk ("Finished"), but did not actually
installing anything.
Changed back to "MBR".
Installed alright, but booting fails with "FATAL: INT18: BOOT FAILURE"

I reboot into the installer, partition editor shows
da0 MBR
and nothing else for da0.
Select da0, "Create", "OK" -> Popup "File exists: geom da0s1" -> Question
"Select Partition scheme" -> "Cancel"
Now partition editor shows
da0	MBR
   da0s1	BSD
   da0s1a  freebsd-ufs

Can install, but still "FATAL: INT18: BOOT FAILURE".
Couldn't figure out how to get around this short of re-initializing the HD
(VirtualBox, so no trouble there).

> Thank you very much for testing this!
> -Nathan

Well, thanks for giving me something to test :-)

Michael