Linux kernel compatability

Jeff Roberson jroberson at jroberson.net
Thu Jan 6 23:15:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> One thing I am not too sure about is sys/ofed.  Given the entire
>>> discussions it might well be better suited in sys/contrib/ofed under
>>> the assumtion that the code is mostly maintained outside our tree and
>>> we get in occational updates.
>>
>> If you look at what Jeff has done, you'll see that the external code
>> follows our standards of residing in sys/contrib/ofed, while the code that
>> glues it into the tree is in sys/ofed.
>
> I might just be too blind to see an ofed there:
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/head/sys/contrib/
>
> It's rdma I guess.  It feels just awkward to have the glue in
> sys/mumble rather than completely bundled in sys/contrib/ofed/** like
> we do for ipfilter, pf, ... to my understanding.
>
> The real glue into our stack, I assume, sits in net*/* mostly.

That rdma was existing for iwarp stubs.  I expect it will go away when
chelsio finishes integrating with the ofed work for full iwarp support.

I have the code in sys/ofed but it could easily be moved to
sys/contrib/ofed.  That is probably more appropriate.  I was thinking just
ofed as it was another native network like netinet, netatalk, netipx, etc.
It perhaps would have been more appropriate to call it infiniband/.

The extra directory is not a real problem either way.

>>> I guess similarly things in user space might go to contrib as well?
>> src/contrib is for code that's maintained outside the source tree that we
>> adapt.
>
> Are all user space tools hand-rolled or are they ported over as well?

All userspace tools are ported in contrib/ofed.  Only minor changes were
required to build on BSD.  We have a very complete stack.  I know of no
feature that is missing.

> Maybe I should wait till Jeff will post the diff to see.

I don't mind discussing the technical points further at all.  I just don't
feel I have any more to add about the more existential topics.

Thanks,
Jeff