Linux kernel compatability

Andrey Chernov ache at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Jan 6 07:05:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 12:46:01PM +0800, David Xu wrote:

> > I'm sorry, this simply hasn't been true in my experience.  I've worked with companies that have decided to support FreeBSD, and I've worked with companies that have decided not to support FreeBSD.  Emulation has never been used as an excuse to not support FreeBSD.  It's purely a cost/benefit decision.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Vendor vs User, two sides. Here, if one is native, another
> is emulation, people would run native version rather than emulation.

Yes, I mean that case.

Speaking in general, only one kind of emulation increases marketshare, it
is big->small way. Say, Symbian emulation (small devices) for their
desktop developer toolchaing on x86 (big device).

But big->big way is pure nonsense. Moreover, if that way ever happens, the
rule is: loser emulates winner, becoming even more loser than before
(staying with its own originality instead is more winning strategy).

And we need to not confuse emulation and hardware-supported
virtualizations because such virtualizations is able to run full OSes
(i.e. is kind of different machines).

So, I am for emulation like Symbian and for virtualization like vmware,
but not for Linux emulation.

--
http://ache.vniz.net/