Linux kernel compatability

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Jan 6 04:00:55 UTC 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 7:44 PM, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 05:17:21PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>>> We have not been marginalized in this space because we have an emulator. We just don't have the marketshare in many areas.  If anything, these emulators improve our marketshare.
>>
>> I agree entirely.  Companies look at marketshare and ability to turn more revenue than costs (i.e. profit).  Like Jeff, I've had my share of dealing with companies who have made a conscious to support or not support FreeBSD based on those factors.  Petitions and letters sound great on Slashdot, but don't work in the real world.  Emulation increases marketshare.
>
> Emulation decreases our marketshare, presenting us like
> not-so-good-but-trying Linux clone, so, for this reason alone, every
> serious company will put its money on Linux product running on real Linux
> instead of thinking about porting it into FreeBSD.

I'm sorry, this simply hasn't been true in my experience.  I've worked with companies that have decided to support FreeBSD, and I've worked with companies that have decided not to support FreeBSD.  Emulation has never been used as an excuse to not support FreeBSD.  It's purely a cost/benefit decision.

Scott