Linux kernel compatability

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 4 16:44:33 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:22:52 am Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> The considerations are simple enough. First, we do not have many IB
> users of FreeBSD in the wild and those that we have (Isilon) seem to be
> perfectly capable of managing the IB stack out of the tree, without
> dumping the thousands of lines of the code into the base. If they had
> the stack before, but were not willing/capable to provide adequate care
> for it in the past, there is no reason to expect things to change with
> second stack, which now will rot in our tree instead of theirs.

Actually, there are three different companies funding the IB port because
there are in fact multiple users of IB on FreeBSD.  It seems silly to have
three+ different versions of the IB stack maintained separately rather than
pooling developer resources across multiple FreeBSD consumers to amortize the
future maintenance costs.

--
John Baldwin