Linux kernel compatability

mdf at FreeBSD.org mdf at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 4 03:34:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Alexander Kabaev <kabaev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:31:24 -1000 (HST)
> Jeff Roberson <jroberson at jroberson.net> wrote:
>>
>> The infiniband port has been done by creating a 10,000 line KPI
>> compatability layer.  With this layer the vast majority of the driver
>> code runs unmodified.  The exceptions are anything that interfaces
>> with skbs and most of the code that deals with network interfaces.
>
> This probably will go against popular opinion here, but having 10k
> linux emulation layer that _almost_ work in the tree will be an
> unfortunate event and will do more damage to FreeBSD as a platform than
> good in the long run. I would rather see this code never hit main
> repository.

I don't agree or disagree with this opinion yet, but I would like some
detail on why you think it would be unfortunate and do damage to
FreeBSD.  That's a pretty loaded statement and I believe it deserves
fleshing out.

Specifically, I can't tell if you're saying that the problem is that
the layer almost works (for some value of almost...) and if it would
be okay if the layer "worked" (for some value of works).

Thanks,
matthew