Preferred place for MD code for new libraries?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Dec 28 04:34:28 UTC 2011

On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Xin Li wrote:
> It seems that we have two different style of arranging files.  One is
> the libc way, where MD code are put directly under src/lib/libc,
> another is libthr way, where MD code are put under src/lib/libthr/arch,
> which is the preferred for new libraries?  Do we want to convert from
> one to another by the way?

New code generally has been adding arch/ where this sort of thing is necessary.  Old code retains the old layout.  There's been some heated debates about whether or not it makes sense to move things en mass.  With subversion, many of the old arguments are not valid (since they centered around cvs repo copy suckage).  However, in addition to the technical issue, there was the 'social' issue that some loud and outspoken people hated it, while more, less forceful, folks liked it.  Thankfully many of the loudest yellers have mellowed with the decade or so that's passed since the issue was last openly litigated.

Warner