Official git export

Fabien Thomas fabien.thomas at netasq.com
Wed Aug 31 12:45:46 UTC 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 12:55 PM, K. Macy wrote:

> is indeed relevant for many of us.
>>
>> So the full history for head clocks in around 570MB whereas a history
>> from r225000 onward will take up 164MB of space. I really think that
>> this factor <4x is something people should just accept. It is a one-time
>> thing anyway, and if they managed to download an ISO image of FreeBSD or
>> have Xorg and Firefox installed, they had to download more than that
>> before.
>>
>> Funnily enough, people with time and bandwidth constraints are those
>> that profit from git the most! :)
>>
>> But noone's forcing anybody to use git, so if svn works better for those
>> folk (I can hardly imagine how), just continue using it. It's not going
>> away.
>
> While I appreciate your evident understanding of git, it would seem
> that I have not successfully communicated my intent to you. It is
> possible that my needs and the needs of those with whom I work
> regularly do not intersect with yours and thus my observations will
> not seem germane.
>
> What *I* am discussing, is not git vs. svn, but the areas which could
> make git work better for those of us who would like to use it in the
> way that I have been doing. The full history of HEAD is not useful to
> most of us. However,  the full history of the most recent stable
> branches, e.g. 7 and 8 is. As far as I understand Fabien had to put in
> a fair amount of effort to create a git repository of a manageable
> size.

My initial concern about full git-svn sync vs only useful branches (release + stable + head)
with full history was to keep the branch namespace clean and to remove some size (not evaluated).

For me the full history is very useful even from r0 to get to the original
commit message for a modification.

I'm not a git fan to replace svn for the main repo. At work we use the same scheme for git:
- git for work, shared work, test.
- svn for the final commit

To sum-up it will be great if the git server appear on freebsd.org. Today the robot that synchronize from
git-svn to git on gitorious is on my my local server that can go down quite easily :D.

Even if only upstream (read only) server is provided this is useful to populate work area on different git services.

Fabien