Prefixing system calls to eliminate namespace collisions between kernel and libc

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 29 13:01:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On 29 August 2011 12:12, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> I see no reason to not make this change.. actually I'd be happy making in 9.
>
> (pushes the +1 button somewhere)
>
> It'd be nice if other source modules of the kernel could be run in
> userspace too, like GEOM modules.
> (I'm not saying this should be part of Kip's goals; I just thought
> about it whilst Nathan was talking about why partition stuff is
> written out early during bsdinstall - because he needs the feedback
> from GEOM.)

Just to clarify: that's not what the problem is with the installer, which
does does not write things out early except in one corner case. GEOM
supports (quite nicely) making uncommitted changes, which makes all state
centrally tracked and makes partitioning work much better than any
pure-userland utility I've seen. There are some ways around this corner
case I'm currently investigating.
-Nathan