FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Lev Serebryakov lev at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 20 06:15:14 UTC 2011

Hello, Gary.
You wrote 19 августа 2011 г., 21:22:52:

>> > With regards to high speed packet forwarding and routing, check out this work
>> > by Luigi Rizzo:
>> > http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/
>>   Yep, I know this work, but it is rather special, not out-of-box (ok,
>> maybe with some changed tunables) routing solution with routing
>> tables, some firewall, etc.

> I think we need to refocus on what would give the most benefit.  At least
> as far as I can see:

> - port/package management: most users would benefit
> - improved virtualisation support: a lot of users would benefit
> - improved driver support: a lot of users would benefit
> - KMS/GEM for better graphics card support: a lot of users would benefit

> Can you honestly say the same about handling line rate packet forwarding
> for multiple 10G cards?
 I agree with you. I've not say, that 10G routing is very important
 for many users. My comment about 10G was answer to statement, that
 "The niche for routers & traffic analysis is still ours.". I wanted
 to say, that it is so may be now, but not for long.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>