FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Michael V. Buzuverov star_guardian at inbox.ru
Fri Aug 19 04:02:17 UTC 2011

Hello

18 August 2011, 22:38 Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua at gmail.com> has written:
> Hi,
>
> Another way is to create binary package directly and leave all upgrading logic in pkgng.

I think next step in development of ports system should be building packages without installing ports.

Main idea is runtime dependencies should be checked at package (port) installation only. So, we can build some
conflicting packages (apache13, apache20 and apache22, for example) and choose which will be used at
installation time.

Now, package creation process is "build -> install -> package". I believe that sequence "build -> package -> install"
is more correct and efficient. It allows avoid conflicts between old and new packages, you may only build set of new
packages and install them later. Of cource, it can be done using chroot, but it is workaround, I believe it should be
standart possibility of ports system.

I think, technically it may be implemented as installation port into temporary directory and creation package
from there. Of course, we need solve some problems with dependencies, but I can't see unsolvable problems.

Do you think this feature could be useful?

Buzuverov Michael