Moving flex and yacc to contrib/, all hell breaks loose?

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 9 13:23:38 UTC 2010

On Mon Nov  8 10, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ulrich Spörlein <uqs at spoerlein.net> writes:
> > To my knowledge, the only "vendor" software in our tree, not yet living
> > under cddl/, contrib/, crypto/ or gnu/ are
> >
> > lib/libc/softfloat
> > lib/libz
> > lib/msun
> > usr.bin/lex
> > usr.bin/unifdef
> > usr.bin/yacc
>
> I have no opinion on the others, but AFAIK, msun is a mix of unmodified
> third-party code, locally modified third-party code and locally
> developed code (which is how my name ended up in the Android credits),
> and I'm not sure there still is a third-party maintainer for our version
> of msun.

i talked to david hough who is working for oracle. he said that oracle has no
business interest in libmsun at all! the mailinglist fdlibm-comments at sun.com
will be shut down and every issues etc. with libmsun shall now be discussed
here:

this message contains a brief statement by oracle [1].

so it seems lib/msun can be moved to the list of third party software with
ceased upstream development.

cheers.
alex

[1] http://mailman.oakapple.net/pipermail/numeric-interest/2010-September/002054.html