Moving flex and yacc to contrib/, all hell breaks loose?

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Nov 7 21:59:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 03:18:04PM +0100, Ulrich Sp??rlein wrote:
> To my knowledge, the only "vendor" software in our tree, not yet living
> under cddl/, contrib/, crypto/ or gnu/ are
>
> lib/libc/softfloat
> lib/libz
> lib/msun
> usr.bin/lex
> usr.bin/unifdef
> usr.bin/yacc
>
> I'm not touching the lib parts for now, and for unifdef, see recent
> post to current at . So flex and yacc remain (if you know of more sources
> with an upstream development, not already listed on the Wiki under
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware please let me know!)
>
> I have an universe-surviving svn tree ready for commit, that moves flex
> to contrib/flex and only a stub Makefile in usr.bin/lex remains, like we
> do with all other contributed software.

I personally don't see the need to move flex or yacc.
Berkley was the original "vendor" for both of these so /usr/src/usr.bin
is the correct place.

We have 2.5.4 from 11-Sept-1996.  Is there some planned update of flex?
Ditto for YACC.

I am aware of http://invisible-island.net/byacc/byacc.html, but I don't
know that I would call Thomas Dickey the official new maintainer of byacc.

So I'd prefer to just leave flex and yacc where they have been for
15 years as fingers know to type thost paths.

I also note that all the UC Regents' copyrights have been stripped in
byacc-20100610.

--
-- David    (obrien at FreeBSD.org)