[RFC] Outline of USB process integration in the kernel taskqueue system

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Nov 6 08:36:46 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 November 2010 20:06:12 John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday, November 05, 2010 3:00:37 pm Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On Friday 05 November 2010 19:48:05 Matthew Fleming wrote:

> > > If a task is currently running when enqueued, the task struct will be
> > > re-enqueued to the taskqueue.  When that task comes up as the head of
> > > the queue, it will be run again.
> >
> > Right, and the taskqueue_cancel has to cancel in that state to, but it
> > doesn't because it only checks pending if !running() :-) ??
>
> You can't close that race in taskqueue_cancel().  You have to manage that
> race yourself in your task handler.  For the callout(9) API we are only
> able to close that race if you use callout_init_mtx() so that the code
> managing the callout wheel can make use of your lock to resolve the races.
> If you use callout_init() you have to explicitly manage these races in your
> callout handler.

Hi,

I think you are getting me wrong! In the initial "0001-Implement-
taskqueue_cancel-9-to-cancel-a-task-from-a.patch" you have the following code-
chunk:

+int
+taskqueue_cancel(struct taskqueue *queue, struct task *task)
+{
+       int rc;
+
+       TQ_LOCK(queue);
+       if (!task_is_running(queue, task)) {
+               if ((rc = task->ta_pending) > 0)
+                       STAILQ_REMOVE(&queue->tq_queue, task, task, ta_link);
+               task->ta_pending = 0;
+       } else
+               rc = -EBUSY;
+       TQ_UNLOCK(queue);
+       return (rc);
+}

This code should be written like this, having the if (!task_is_running())
after checking the ta_pending variable.

+int
+taskqueue_cancel(struct taskqueue *queue, struct task *task)
+{
+       int rc;
+
+       TQ_LOCK(queue);
+               if ((rc = task->ta_pending) > 0) {
+                       STAILQ_REMOVE(&queue->tq_queue, task, task, ta_link);
+               		  task->ta_pending = 0;
+			  }
+       if (!task_is_running(queue, task))
+               rc = -EBUSY;
+       TQ_UNLOCK(queue);
+       return (rc);
+}

Or completely skip the !task_is_running() check. Else you are opening up a
race in this function! Do I need to explain that more? Isn't it obvious?

--HPS