Request for review: build infrastructure for Clang

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 21 03:55:41 UTC 2010

In message: <4BF5F40D.2010602 at FreeBSD.org>
            Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On 5/20/2010 5:57 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message:<4BF407EF.7010508 at FreeBSD.org>
: >              Doug Barton<dougb at freebsd.org>  writes:
: > : ... which leads to hopefully my last suggestion, if there is _any_
: > : chance that it would be useful to have tblgen installed then
: > providing
: > : a knob to do so (defaulting to off of course) is cheap, and will
: > : prevent you having to rework the code later when someone requests it
: > : (and believe me, someone will). :)
: >
: > Knobs are too cheap.  We're starting to accumulate rather a lot of
: > them for trivial things...  We need to think about a better way to do
: > subsetting...
:
: EPONTIFICATING. I would not want to stand in the way of people doing
: real work while we wait for the next great thing. :)

That's kind of uncalled for.  We have a problem with a proliferation
of silly knobs.  When someone wants to add a new one is the perfect
time to raise the issue.  Especially when I have some work in flight
that might help...

Warner

P.S. I'm not standing in the way of this knob (if that's the
consensus), but this one seems especially useless.  Nobody is ever
going to turn it on.  We should wait for someone to ask for it before
adding it.