RFC: liblzma and xz to FreeBSD base

Alexandr Rybalko ray at dlink.ua
Tue May 11 14:33:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, 9 May 2010 01:21:48 +0000
"b. f." <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Martin Matuska wrote:
>> > Dear fellow devleopers,
>> >
>> > I would like to propose an import of liblzma and the utilities xz, xzdec
>> > and lzmainfo to base (vendor -> contrib).
>> > As I was informed, libarchive is already lzma-ready, some of our
>> > existing code could take advantage of liblzma instantly.
>> >
>> > The source code is imported from:
>> > http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-4.999.9beta.tar.gz
>> >
>> > All GPLv2, LGPLv2.1 and GPLv3 parts are stripped from the code (they
>> > cover only the build system and unimportant scripts).
>> > liblzma, xz, xzdec, lzmainfo are public domain licensed.
>> >
>> > A working patchset against HEAD (includes modified lesspipe.sh):
>> > http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/xz/
>> >
>> > The only patched file is src/common/bswap.h, with the patch from the
>> > archivers/xz port.
>> >
>> > Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > mm
>>
>> This would be great; we've been waiting for it for some time.  If you
>> could also coordinate with Alexander Rybalko <ray at dlink.ua>, who
>> described his module for kernel lzma support in Feb.:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-February/030774.html
>>
>> (and follow-ups on -hackers Feb.-Mar.) to help him incorporate his
>> work, that would be appreciated.
>>
>> b.

Hi,
in my work lzma lib can help only for mkulzma utility.
geom_ulzma use internal lzma, because kernel don`t have lzma
lzma encoder for compressing kernel for CFE loader use old version of lzma (archivers/lzma PORTVERSION= 4.17)

But I would be very happy, when supported archive types in tar and libarchive maybe customized with options like WITHOUT_BZ2,
WITHOUT_LZMA ... .

--
Alexandr Rybalko <ray at dlink.ua>
aka Alex RAY <ray at ddteam.net>