[Extension] utmpx and LOGIN_FAILURE

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 2 03:50:21 UTC 2010

In message: <20100501235846.GU56080 at hoeg.nl>
            Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> writes:
: * Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org> wrote:
: > On 2010-May-01 22:32:44 +0200, Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
: > >* Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
: > >> Does this default to on or off or is this always on? If the later: some
: > >> kind of a switch (no matter what the default is) would be highly
: > >> desired.
: > >
: > >What about adding a switch to last(1) to (un)hide the entries?
: >
: > That doesn't cover the DoS potential of logging this data in the
: > firstplace.
:
: So how is this covered right now? As far as I know, all of our existing
: login services write messages to /var/log/*.

newsyslog rotates those files when they get too big...

Warner