dwb : groff replacement proposal

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:07:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:56:18AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 6/30/10 2:43 AM, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> >>So what? The version of groff in the src/ isn't
> >>going to suddenly stop working. Please send this
> >>type of email to free-advocacy or freebsd-chat.
> >>It has no place here.
> >
> >it was just for information and I do not know every dozen freebsd lists
> >by heart... so I appology.
> >however, you answer remember me why I quit FreeBSD, cease fire, courtesy
> >is the key.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Cyrille Lefevre
>
> Steve K's social skills leave a bit to be desired, but the question
> remains, "is there a good reason to do this?"

Oh please.  It was a legitimate question.  So what if groff is
now gplv3?   The version contained in src/ is not sudden going
to stop working and it is not suddenly going to become gplv3.

The fact remains that there is no available alternative that
contains the functionality of groff.  Perhaps, the best
alternative is The Heirloom Documentation Tools at
http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools.html.
Several weeks ago, I got the heirloom tools to compile
(after fixing several bugs) on x86_64-*-freebsd only to find
that the tools segfault on all manpages I tried to render.

--
Steve