"stray irqX" or "irqX: stray"

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 23 14:55:15 UTC 2010

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 June 2010 2:47:49 am Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Now we use different format for stray irq counters names (can be better
>> seen at `vmstat -ia`). Considering stray is a kind of special case (I
>> know no other cases using additional counters for interrupt source), I
>> still think it can be made somewhat more unified. I think we could
>> change "stray irqX" format to "irqX: stray". This format IMHO better
>> fits into existing naming scheme of "source: driver".
>
> I actually think it is more of a feature that they don't match since they
> should never occur.  If one does occur it should be noticeable and not "blend
> in" with other interrupts.

That is an argument. But to be noticed it is also logged to console and
messages. Unified formats instead could IMHO simplify it's processing.

We have a very much different formats there now, especially if compare
different archs. Problem is that, for example, `systat -vm` tries to
format that string to fit it into available 10 characters. I can't say
that I like this idea, but it looks even more tricky, when format is not
unified.

--
Alexander Motin