INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE in GENERIC

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Sun Jan 17 07:40:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 15.01.2010 at 19:58:57 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Jan-14 20:12:24 +0000, "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >- Desktop/server users who want their system to work without any
> >  special tuning or magic, and likely feel the comments they put in
> >  configuration files are important
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the most critical bit of my kernel config file
> is the $Header...$ comment - which lets me extract the remainder of the
> file from my CVS repository.  I don't currently use includes (because
> most of my config files have roots pre-dating the include directive).
>
> I find it a PITA that INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE _doesn't_ include comments
> (or at least my $Header$ line) by default.

Seriously, is that the only "comment" people care about? I really have a
hard time coming up with *important* stuff that people put in config's
comments and then somehow lose the connection between comment and
running kernel.

> IMO, it would be useful to have an "include this literal string in the
> kernel" config directive.  This would allow config file version control
> information to be embedded without needing the comments.  And that would
> resolve the issue of embedding fully expanded details of all included
> files without the hassle of keeping the comments around.

Ok, this I can understand. We could then call this directive something
... um like ident perhaps? :)

Seems like all that people want to do is simply:

        cpu   i386
        ident SERVER
        descr "$Id: foo,v"

That shouldn't be too hard? FWIW I think it is more important to have a
way to recreate the current running kernel than to get a
verbatim/expanded copy of all config files used to create it in the
first place.

Just my two cents,
Uli