Replacing <utmp.h> with <utmpx.h>

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Sat Jan 9 19:45:28 UTC 2010

* Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
> Does this have any implications for the compat4x/5x/6x/7x/8x
> libraries that we ship?  Also, what legacy apps that are statically
> compiled and touch utmp/wtmp?

Well, the issue is that nothing right now compiles against
utmp/wtmp/etc. <utmp.h> just provides a set of structures for the
applications to use, no actual symbols. All applications just tinker
with the files themselves, so there is no difference between dynamic and
static linkage here.

Nothing in libc uses <utmp.h> or its database files. There are three
functions in libutil that do that, namely login(3), logout(3) and
logwtmp(3). These functions are not present in my branch, because they
are hardly implementable on top of utmpx. This means I am going to
increment libutil's major and let it be the way it is.

I decided to just give up on trying to be compatible, because there is
hardly anything we can do.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/