Newbie question: kernel image a dynamically linked binary?

Daniel Rodrick daniel.rodrick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 10:51:56 UTC 2010

Hello List,

I'm a newbie and coming from Linux background, and am trying to learn
FreeBSD now. The first thing I find a little confusing is that the
final FreeBSD kernel image is shown as a DYNAMICALLY LINKED binary:

$
$ pwd
/boot/kernel
$
$ file kernel
kernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$

How can the kernel image use shared libraries? And which ones does it
use, if any?

Also, I cannot find out the libraries the image uses using the
traditional ldd command:

$ ldd kernel
kernel:
kernel: signal 6