BIND in the base

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Sep 23 09:40:58 UTC 2009

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
>  > On the subject of host/dig/nslookup.  We had an old 'host' and
>  > 'nslookup' that were replaced with bind's heavyweight versions.
>  > Perhaps those could be revived and refreshed?
>  >
>  > The functionality of 'host' that I care about is:
>  > [...]
>
> The functionality of 'host' (and 'dig') that I care about
> is the fact that it ignores /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf
> and always uses DNS.  This feature has been invaluable
> for me for debugging DNS issues.
>
> BTW, it's a pity window(1) was removed from base.
> The removal breaks several scripts of mine, particularly
> ones that are specifically designed to run without any
> ports installed.

Actually I had to go look at CVS (I couldn't work out how to get
svn to tell me who removed it) to see who took it out and when.

I don't recall any discussion of this, and while it may have been
the right answer, I think it was poorly handled.

It seems it was pretty much a single person's decision,
and I object to that as it did go against POLA.
It should have been discussed more at least.