tmux(1) in base

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Sep 21 16:50:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:34:40AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> [090921 09:30] wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:19:46AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > >
> > > I dunno Joel, we wouldn't want to get crazy and ship a system that
> > > was usable out of the box, I'd like to go back to a Solaris
> > > circa 1999 like system, y'know, kernel+/bin/sh, don't need much
> > > more than that y'know...
> > >

> > When you install the box, install the port.  This isn't rocket
> > science.
> >
> > Can we also add perl back to the base system?  It is much more
> > useful than tmux/screen.
>
> 1) Perl is dead.
> 2) We could add something like ruby or python if someone could
> get the bootstrap working without build nicely.

It was a rhetorical question, Alfred.  BTW, Perl is far from dead.
It appears none of the customers you support use SpamAssassin,
apache, teTeX, jdk16, gtk, or any number of other ports that list
perl as a dependence.

troutmask:kargl[206] pkg_info -R perl-5.8.9_3 | grep -v p5- | wc -l
      63
troutmask:kargl[208] pkg_info -R perl-5.8.9_3 | wc -l
      97

--
Steve