tmux(1) in base

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Mon Sep 21 13:28:55 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 14:37:46 Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <20090921112657.GW95398 at hoeg.nl>, Ed Schouten writes:
>
> >At the DevSummit in Cambridge we briefly discussed including tmux(1) in
> >the base system. We recently had window(1) there, but unfortunately
> >window(1) was a very limited tool, compared to tools like screen(1) and
> >tmux(1). Why tmux(1) and not screen(1)? Well, simple. The first has a
> >better license and very active maintenance.
>
> Can you explain why any such utility needs to be in the base system?
> I'm not seeing it.  We have enough things in the base that most users
> will never use as it is.
>
> -GAWollman

I would very much like to see this in the base system, as screen is currently the first port I install on all systems I manage. Anything that takes more than one minute I run in screen, such as buildworld/kernel, installation of certain ports etc. If tmux was in the basesystem, I wouldn't have to extract or mount the ports directory before updating the system to the desired version of FreeBSD. Screen/tmux is especially important when such tasks are run remotely through SSH.

It could also be useful in single user mode when all you have is one console.

It would be even better if there was a hardlink from screen to tmux. It could then detect it was started as screen and use screen compatible mode ;-)

--
Pieter de Goeje