Interrupt Descriptions

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Oct 14 08:12:16 UTC 2009

Alexander Motin wrote:
 > John Baldwin wrote:
 > > Do folks feel that the issues with the intrnames and intrcnt API warrant
 > > delaying this work, or do folks have any objections to the proposed
 > > bus_describe_intr() API?  Personally I think that intrnames and intrcnt are
 > > certainly broken, but that they have been broken for quite a while and that
 > > these changes do not make them more broken than they currently are.  Also, I
 > > think that any fixes to intrcnt/intrnames would be orthogonal to
 > > bus_describe_intr().
 >
 > Just some 50 cents on topic: it would be nice if `vmstat -i` was able to
 > show all (more then 2) consumers of shared interrupt instead of "cbb0
 > wpi0+". I haven't looked who actually limit this and why, so it's just a
 > wish.

Here's a whole-hearted "me too".
I also often have output like this from vmstat:

irq18: ohci2 ohci+

It doesn't even display the number of the second ohci
device on irq18.  So I always have to grep through
/var/run/dmegs.boot to find out the real list of
devices, which is annoying, and this is not the way
it should be.  "sysctl dev" doesn't provide that
information either.

In this example, there are actually four devices on
irq18:  ohci2, ohci3, ohci4, vgapci0.

About half of the machines I have access to exhibit
that problem.

Disclaimer:  I'm not familiar with FreeBSD's interrupt
code, so my opinion should be regarded as a "user's
wish for enhancement", not as a developer's vote.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek