Unique machine identifier for nfsv4 client

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Mar 30 10:01:58 PDT 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> There is a uuid that is generated at first boot and persistent. Check
> /etc/rc.d/hostid. It sets kern.hostuuid and kern.hostid.

Duh (as Homer S might say;-). Yep, that should work just fine. From a
quick glance at the rc.d script, the sysctl that loads it into the
kernel happens before any nfs client stuff. (I also noticed that
kern_uuid.c has a routine that gets a MAC, but I won't even need it.)

Thanks everyone for the replies, rick