Final sanity pass: xdev

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sat Mar 28 19:00:44 PDT 2009

Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
> In fact, needing that python26 would really stop this from ever
> getting into the base, wouldn't it?  Not that I'd mind a good excuse
> to get python into our base, but I don't think anyone else would agree
> with me.

Trust me, you *don't* want python (or any other widely used script
language) in base.  There's a good reason why we removed Tcl and Perl.
Imagine a having Python 2.5 is in base, and needing to run a mission-
critical application that requires 2.6.  You would have no choice but to
install 2.6 from ports, and you would run into all sorts of problems
with the two versions interfering with each other, scripts mysteriously
failing because they were invoked with the wrong $PATH and therefore the
wrong interpreter, code running in the 2.5 interpreter trying to load
2.6 modules, etc.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no