NFS version 4.0 for FreeBSD-CURRENT

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 20 08:58:33 PDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Zachary Loafman wrote:

[good stuff snipped]

> I don't know if that affects the timing on this being merged to CURRENT
> or not. It might be nice if we had an opportunity to review some things
> prior to APIs/VOPs being set in stone, but it would also be nice to get
> wider exposure for Rick's code.

Other than the va_filerev/i_modrev issue already mentioned (btw, I grep'd
/usr/src and nothing uses va_filerev outside the kernel, it seems), I
realized there is another API/VOP issue (kinda in the trivial category,
but I should mention it). FreeBSD-CURRENT is out of bits for mnt_flag (the
last spare one is used by Edward's ACL code) and it would be nice to add a
couple of MNT_EXxxx flags for things like enabling/disabling delegations.

Two obvious possible solutions:
1 - bump mnt_flag up to 64 bits
2 - create a separate mnt_exflag field

[more stuff snipped]

I emailed a request for "predictions" about this on nfsv4 at linux-nfs.org
and I've only gotten one response sofar:
[Tom Haynes wrote]
      Subject: Re: nfsv4.1 timeframe

      Rick Macklem wrote:
      > Anyone feel like making a prediction? (Ideally somewhat realistic:-)

      Next year sounds more realistic based on what I saw at Connectathon.

I'll post more responses if I get them, rick