spliting kernel ipfw source ? (also involves sctp)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Mon Mar 2 10:57:04 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:30:27PM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
..
> I think massively rearranging things doesn't by us much in terms of beauty,
> but does give us a lot in terms of hassle, given current assumptions of
> alignment between the layout of /usr/include and the layout of
> /usr/src/sys. We'd need to introduce new explicit mappings to install
> include files in their old locations (which are required by applications),
> etc.  For a change with such a minor benefit, the hassle will be huge.  I'm
> fine with renaming the ipfw .c files and leaving in netinet, but let's not
> get carried away.

I suspect that the mention of symlinks (which is not mine and absolutely
not what I want to do) triggered some alarms :)

I have very clear the potential nightmare with careless moving
of files, so I tried to make it clear that public headers are excluded:
as you see i wrote "ip_fw*c" and "exception of the userland headers".

To further clarify, my plan is the following:

- leave ip_fw.h and ip_dummynet.h in /sys/netinet in case
  userland code is dependent on their location;
- create /sys/netinet/ipfw/ to hold the kernel .c files related to
  ipfw and possibly dummynet (and also their private headers if any);

I am not going to touch other people's stuff, though I repeat that
sctp would clearly deserve a cleanup -- i doubt userland needs more
than one or possibly two headers (one for the basic stuff, one for
the fancy and possibly non-portable stuff). Tcp has similar issues
especially for recent additions.

More than the number of files in /sys/netinet/, i am worried by the
amount of private headers that are exposed to userland for no good
reason. In fact, some of them are contain:

	#ifndef _KERNEL
	#error "no user-serviceable parts inside"
	#endif

Part of this is for historical reasons, but we should try to move
to a better structure.
Take e.g. tcp_var.h contains the stats (that some userland program
may want to have) but also a ton of internal structures (e.g. those
for SACK support) that have appeared very recently and have no reason
to be there.

	cheers
	luigi