Time to drop the warning for uid's bigger than USHRT_MAX?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jun 25 19:05:06 UTC 2009

John's work on the SYSV IPC stuff removes the last place I'm aware of
that had an issue with uid's bigger than what will fit inside an
unsigned short.  So, a couple questions:

  1) Does anyone know of any remaining places I'm not aware of?

And, if the answer to that winds up being no...

  2) lib/libc/gen/pw_scan.c has some support for providing warnings
     about there potentially being issues with using uid's larger than
     a certain value.  Should the code for that remain in place "for the
     next time we have this issue" despite it not really being needed
     now or should it all just get ripped out?

Given John's work just arrived and it was a pre-requisite to doing
anything about this RE would probably allow for any changes related to
this happening after code freeze starts but it should happen soon if
it's going to happen at all.  ;-)  Personally I'm leaning towards
adjusting things so the warnings get triggered at UID_MAX for now and
providing a few comments that say "We know this looks unnecessary right
now but there was a time when ...".

Thanks...

--
                                                Ken Smith