WIP: ATA to CAM integration

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jun 5 19:48:46 UTC 2009

:Every one of Matt's emails follow this formula:
:
:1. I don't know how FOO works, but how you're doing it is wrong
:2. Here's how I think FOO should work
:3. I'm going to work on FOO in DragonFlyBSD and have it done in a week.
:
:1 and 2 are ignorant and worthless in a technical conversation, and 3 is
:off topic for FreeBSD mailing lists.  So yes, I'm calling him out.
:
:Scott

    Well, so far about the only one talking shit here is you, Scott.

    Insofar as 3. goes, I already provided references to that code,
    because the purpose is to share code.  I wonder if you even bothered
    to look at it.  Judging from your comments, I guess not.  It isn't
    quite in the decrepit shape you make it out to be.  I mean, come on,
    not even the ATA driver has hot-plug support (not without crashing,
    anyhow), and I would not characterize IT as being decrepit!

    It was simply a code reference, along with OpenBSD's code reference.
    For anyone writing a driver having multiple code references is always
    beneficial, it saves a lot of time and puts things in context.
    After all, OpenBSD's and Linux's AHCI driver is what really opened
    up the space for the rest of us.  OpenBSD saved me at least 100
    man-hours of work and Alex just now saved me another 8 or 9 at
    the cost of a 5 minute email.  That seems to be a good use of the
    mailing lists in my view.

    I'm not above asking other driver writers for information that I
    do not have complete knowledge of.  I learned a lot from Alexander
    Motin's posting with regards to port multipliers, enough that I
    am now quite comfortable in my ability to add the feature in my own
    work.  Clearly I am not totally deficient in my knowledege since I
    actually did port the OpenBSD driver to DragonFly.

    As far as I can tell, I haven't said anything about anyone doing it
    wrong, certainly not with the tone your extremely jaded portrayal
    seems to be applying to my posting.  I have my opinion and you have
    yours, but that's all it is... an opinion.  My opinion is that the
    only portable device I/O command set available in the world today is
    the SCSI command set.  There is no ulterior motive, it's just an
    opinion.

    I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

						-Matt