Cross compiling FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 14 16:36:58 PST 2009

[Please wrap your lines before 80 columns]

On 2009-Jan-14 15:06:06 +0000, Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com> wrote:
>At this time, I've tried to build RELENG_7_1 for the i386
>architecture using an amd64 machine (running RELENG_7_0 for amd64)
>then, exporting /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS in read-only mode to
>target machines,

This won't work because install{world,kernel} uses programs (under
/usr/obj) that were built to run on the build system (amd64 in
your case) and so won't run on the target (i386) system.

The supported approach is to NFS mount the target machines onto the
build machine and run "make DESTDIR=/mount/point install{world,kernel}"
on the build machine.  Note that this will report errors since NFS
cannot handle UFS flags - you will need to manually remove/add schg flags.

--
Peter Jeremy