Trimming the default /boot/device.hints

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 6 09:07:19 PST 2009

In message: <200902061137.42052.jhb at freebsd.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Friday 06 February 2009 11:25:23 am M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <200902061106.41235.jhb at freebsd.org>
: >             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
: > : On Friday 06 February 2009 10:22:35 am Andriy Gapon wrote:
: > : > on 06/02/2009 16:37 John Baldwin said the following:
: > : > >
: > : > > Yes, it only needs the hint for it to be a console device.
: > : > >
: > : >
: > : > I am slightly confused as to how that hint works then, it's not like a
: > : > standard isa hint it seems.
: > : > Can it somehow be built-in (into the code)?
: > :
: > : It works "normally" during the new-bus attach, but the low-level console
: code
: > : probably checks for it early on as well.  The serial console code works
: that
: > : way.  The uart(4) and sio(4) drivers explicitly look for uart/sio hints to
: > : find possible console devices.  This is separate from when the ISA bus
: adds
: > : uart/sio devices from the hints later on.
: >
: > sio could be loaded as a driver, and still be the console driver.  But
: > it had to be loaded from /boot/loader.
:
: Are you sure?  The console stuff is initialized (cninit()) well before any
: SYSINIT's are run.

I thought so, but maybe I'm just remembering that I could load it for
my serial ports.  I haven't had a laptop with serial ports on it in a
while.

Warner