svn commit: r187132 - head/usr.bin/make

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 2 19:27:07 PST 2009

In message: <20090203002344.GB14870 at dragon.NUXI.org>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:42:13PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > Right now, we get useless output from these job markers:
: > % make -j 3 all
: ..
: > --- one ---
: > --- two ---
: > --- three ---
: > one
: > one
: > one
: > --- one ---
: > one
: > two
: > two
: > two
: > --- two ---
: > two
: > three
: ..  snip..
: > Based on this, I'd suggest we turn them off until we can at least
: > produce good results.  I don't know if we want them on by default with
: > good results, but we certainly want them off when they are generating
: > bad results.
:
: I would have expected a few days to track down the bug.

I don't think so.  It is time to put this experiment into the
background.  The change in defaults is clearly unpopular (14-0 in
favor of the patches I posted, not counting your and my votes).  Its
benefits are unproven at this time.  It clearly isn't ready for prime
time and needs more testing and careful thought and study.  While
there may be some minor benefits from this change, if it worked, the
overwhelming negative feelings it has generated suggest that the time
is not ripe for it socially and that more time is needed to socialize
this change within the project before the switch is pulled.

If we turn it off now, then that doesn't prevent you from fixing the
functionality.  It protects the users and developers from faulty data
produced by the patches.  It also calms down the very inflamed "public
opinion" of the developers and users that have cared enough about the
patch to send me their votes.

I also don't think a couple of days will really matter, but we are
wasting way too much time on this issue and it is time to move on and
get on with our lives.  If you can get it working, and show concrete
examples of how it can benefit the project and convince the developers
it is a good idea, then we can revisit the issue.

Just my two cents, of course.

Warner

P.S.  If you haven't sent me your vote, please do.  I'm especially
interested to hear from people that like the current patches and would
like to see them stay, when fixed.