all mutexes -> read-write locks?

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Mon Jun 2 05:27:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Daniel Eischen wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Ed Schouten wrote:

>>> If this is going to be done, could we have mtx_* macro's pointing to the
>>> proper read/write ops? I know, it's just names, but I think most novice
>>> FreeBSD kernel hackers will almost instantaneously figure out what 'mtx'
>>> stands for.
>>
>> Yes, mutex (mtx) is known very well.
>>
>> I don't think changing all mutex operations to rdlock operations
>> is wise.  They are two different animals, regardless of their
>> implementation.  Mutexes are very commonly used in device drivers,
>> at least outside of FreeBSD.  And just because our current
>> implementation of them are the same as rwlocks doesn't mean that
>> it will always be the same in the future.
>>

> so let's imagine that mutexes dissappear...
> :-)

I'd rather not.  What do you have against them?  Their API is simple
enough to use.  If there is code that really wants to have multiple
readers, by all means change it to use rwlocks.

Take a look at Solaris kernel mutexes and see how you can init
a mutex that is to be used in an interrupt handler.

--
DE